Tuesday 19 June 2012

Othello at Brockwell Park Review

Wow!  Just wow!  That ending was a real slap in the face.  Every time I see Othello, I hope that this time things will turn out differently, but so far I have been unlucky.

I always hope Othello will come to his senses just in the nick of time... make up with Desdemona and kick Iago's sorry ass.  I have a similar thing with Macbeth, I always hope that Macbeth will stare at the daggers in his hand and ask himself "what the hell am I doing!? F*ck this for a game of welly wangling! I'm going back to bed!" Again, I have so far been unlucky.


This production didn't pull any punches.  The minimalist nature of the stage combined with muscular acting made this a stark and powerful show.  The Faction Theatre Group used very few props (Desdemona's bed was represented by a canvas sheet) and the play's violence was represented by the players soaking each other in water from army canteens.

Great solid high intensity production.  We also got to bring our dog!

Othello is running throughout the summer at Brockwell Park, South London


No comments:

Post a Comment